web analytics

Tag Archive | "Red Cross"

Heat from A/C starts afghan on fire

Smoke and flames were coming out the door when firefighters arrived on the scene of a fire at this mobile home last Saturday, July 22. Post photo by J. Reed.

By Judy Reed

A polyester afghan sealing off a window around an air conditioning unit caught fire last weekend in a mobile home in Cedar Springs Mobile Estates.

According to Cedar Springs Fire Chief Marty Fraser, they received the call at 11:07 a.m., Saturday, July 22, for 336 Carol Street. When they arrived on scene at 11:11 a.m., smoke and flames were coming out the front door. And by 11:14 a.m., they had the fire out.

“We had a good response time, and it was a quick knockdown,” reported Fraser.

He said that the fire was contained to the sofa area in the living room. The air conditioner was above it, with the polyester afghan around it to seal the window. Fraser said that the afghan was brittle and stiff, and that the heat from air conditioner started it on fire, which then started the sofa on fire.

The damage to the home was mainly smoke and water damage.

The Kent County Sheriff Department was on scene and helped evacuate the family, which consisted of a mom, dad, and three children, including a six-week-old  baby. Several animals were also evacuated safely.

The family was renting the home, and had no insurance. Red Cross was called in to help render aid.

Sand Lake Fire was automatically toned out for mutual aid, but then told to disregard, as was Rockford Ambulance.

Posted in Featured, NewsComments Off on Heat from A/C starts afghan on fire

Spring into action and donate blood with the Red Cross 


The American Red Cross encourages eligible blood donors to make a difference in the lives of patients this spring by giving blood.

Donated blood is perishable and must be constantly replenished to keep up with the demand. Red blood cells, with a shelf life of only 42 days, are the most frequently transfused blood component, and are always needed by hospitals.

Eligible donors can give red cells through either a regular whole blood donation or a double red cell donation, where available. Double red cell donations yield twice the usual amount of red cells in a single appointment and are accepted at select donation locations. Double red cell donors must meet additional eligibility criteria, which will be determined at the donation appointment.

Donors with all blood types are needed, especially those with types O negative, A negative and B negative. Whole blood can be donated every 56 days, and double red cells may be donated every 112 days, up to three times per year.

To find a donation opportunity or make an appointment to give blood, download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).

Posted in Arts & EntertainmentComments Off on Spring into action and donate blood with the Red Cross 

Family homeless after fire

Photo by J. Reed

Photo by J. Reed

Photo by Marty Fraser

Photo by Marty Fraser

A fire that started in a garage destroyed a two-story home in Nelson Township last weekend that had recently been remodeled.

According to Cedar Springs Fire Chief Marty Fraser, the call came in at 12:38 a.m. Saturday, February 1, at a home at 7788 19 Mile Road, between Myers Lake Avenue and Pine Lake Rd. “The family woke up when they heard a noise in the garage and couple of explosions,” explained Fraser. “They were probably the tires on the minivan and a small car.” Both cars were destroyed in the fire.

Fraser said the first unit arrived at the home of Karl and Kathy Hanes to find the structure well involved and the occupants outside. Home at the time was the mother and four teenagers.

Assisting at the scene was the Sand Lake, Spencer, Courtland and Oakfield Fire Departments. “It took approximately two hours to knock the bulk of the fire down, and about 1-1/2 to 2 hours to knock down hot spots. We were on the scene a total of six hours,” explained Fraser.

The home was a total loss. Fraser said that the interior of the home was compromised so they had to attack the fire strictly from the outside. The cause was undetermined.

The family does have insurance, and the Red Cross put them up temporarily in one of their Red Cross houses. Anyone who would like to help the Hanes family, should contact the Red Cross.


Posted in Featured, NewsComments Off on Family homeless after fire

Fire at Kent Ridge apartments accidental

A fire in the Kent Ridge Apartments in Kent City last week has left several people homeless. Photo from WOODTV.com.

A fire in the Kent Ridge Apartments in Kent City last week has left several people homeless. Photo from WOODTV.com.

By Judy Reed


The fire at Kent Ridge apartments was due to discarded smoking material. Photo from Lee Anne Ritzema.

The fire at Kent Ridge apartments was due to discarded smoking material. Photo from Lee Anne Ritzema.

A fire that left 18 homeless in Kent City last week has been labeled an accident.

According to Kent City Fire Chief Mike Rexford, the fire broke out in a building at Kent Ridge apartments on Wednesday, July 31, at about 2:10 a.m.

“The fire started in a wicker basket out on a deck,” explained Rexford. “It was discarded smoking material that caught fire, went up the vinyl siding, through the vinyl soffet and into the attic.”

He said that the apartment dwellers tried to put out the fire after it was discovered, but it was too large. He said that they exited the apartment and started hollering “Fire!” and pounded on the door across the hall. Meanwhile, a young man and his sister smelled smoke and pulled the fire alarms. (The Grand Rapids Press said it was Katelin Powers, 17, and her older brother Derrick.)

“He grabbed a fire extinguisher and tried to put it out,” said Rexford. “He also pounded on doors and got everyone out of that unit.” The building actually was two separate units with 8 apartments each and separated by a firewall.

Rexford said he was on the scene within 5 minutes and saw heavy smoke. Six other fire departments also helped at the scene, including Sparta, Solon, Casnovia Twp., Algoma, Alpine, and an aerial truck from Walker.

The Chief said they made two rescues. He heard that one person who was bedridden was unaccounted for. A firefighter and Sheriff deputy broke down her door and got her out. She was in no immediate danger, but that wasn’t the case with the rescue that Rexford and another firefighter made.

“We pounded on a door where the woman hadn’t heard the fire alarms,” explained Rexford. “There was fire dropping from the attic access in the ceiling in the common hallway as we got her out. It was close.” He said that there was virtually no smoke in the apartments themselves, just the fire in the attic and roof.

Rexford couldn’t be more proud of the firefighters at the scene. “I’m pretty happy. They did a great job. The insurance people were blown away by the job we did on it,” he said.

The state fire marshal was not available to help survey the scene, so the ATF came out to help determine the cause of the fire. Insurance adjustors estimated the structural damage at $300,000-plus (the roof fell in), and loss of contents at $240,000 due to heavy water damage. Rexford said that out of the eight apartments affected with loss, only two had renters insurance. He noted that the owners hope to have it rebuilt in 4-5 months.

The eight units on the other side were protected by the firewall and suffered no damage. “It did its job,” noted Rexford. However, the electricity suffered and needs to be rerouted before residents can move back in.

The Red Cross stepped in to help those who had no place to go after the fire. Also, a couple of other residents who live there are trying to gather donations for those left homeless, including toiletries, blankets, pillows, clothes, shoes, etc. If you’d like to donate, email Lee Anne Ritzema at leeritzema@gmail.com.

Posted in Featured, NewsComments Off on Fire at Kent Ridge apartments accidental



Get Your Copy of The Cedar Springs Post for just $40 a year!