web analytics

Categorized | News

Man jailed on bomb threat charge

Jeff Klein

Jeff Klein

By Judy Reed


A former Cedar Springs man, who claimed health problems related to his weight prevented him from appearing in court on a bomb threat charge, is now in custody, after being arrested last week on a warrant for failure to appear.

Klein was charged with the bomb threat in August 2012. Cedar Springs Police took the call at 2:02 a.m. August 25, 2012. The male caller told dispatch that a bomb would go off at Cedar Springs Mobile Estates in four hours. Officer Mike Stahl alerted management and a property check was done at the office building and surrounding grounds. They were told to alert police if they did find anything suspicious.

The dispatch center pinged the cell phone, which provided information on the subscriber. Officer Stahl made contact at the address and asked about the cell phone and where the female owner of the phone was. He knew the call was made by a man and questioned the person at this address who denied making the bomb threat.

Officer Stahl spoke with management and learned that this male resident had a number of violations/issues with management. The next day, after listening to the recording of the call, Officer Stahl knew the caller was the man he questioned the night before. The officer returned and questioned Klein, and he eventually admitted that he made the bomb threat because he was upset with management.

A felony warrant was issued by the Prosecutor’s Office, and because Klein had a number of medical problems, he was allowed to appear at court. He did arrive at court on the scheduled date, but, while still outside in the parking lot, he presented court staff with a medical condition and was transported to the hospital. The following week he arrived and was arraigned on his charge in 63rd District Court. When he heard they would be remanding him to jail, he presented court staff with another medical condition that required him to be transported to the hospital. The warrant for failure to appear was then issued.

Klein then moved to Grand Rapids. According to Sgt. Jason Kelley, of the Cedar Springs Unit of the Kent County Sheriff Department, Klein was arrested last week by the Grand Rapids Police on the warrant for failure to appear, and turned over to the Kent County Sheriff Department.

Klein was finally remanded to jail on the bomb threat charge, and will be sentenced in February.




This post was written by:

- who has written 19598 posts on Cedar Springs Post Newspaper.

Contact the author

Comments are closed.



Get Your Copy of The Cedar Springs Post for just $40 a year!