web analytics

Categorized | News

Michigan Blood to host 15K trail run to benefit Marrow Program

Grand Rapids, MI (March 11, 2010): Finding a marrow donor for a patient with a life-threatening disease is often a race against time. But this is one race that will actually benefit those who need a lifesaving marrow transplant. On May 21, Michigan Blood will host Moonlit Miles for Marrow, a 15K trail run at 7:30 p.m. at Klackle Orchards, 11466 West Carson City Road in Greenville. All the proceeds will go to help pay for tissue-type testing of prospective marrow donors for the Marrow Program at Michigan Blood.

“This is going to be a beautiful and challenging run for runners of all skill levels,” said Melissa Turtelotte, recruiter for the Marrow Department at Michigan Blood. “It’s also a great chance to help patients who need marrow/stem cell transplants find a matching donor. Their race is always the hardest. And with initial testing costing $165 per person, each runner can make a big difference.”

Moonlit Miles for Marrow will also feature a 2-mile family fun run/walk and a post race party featuring live bands, food, and refreshments. Spectators are encouraged to join the race as well by cheering on their favorite runners and registering to become marrow donors at the race. Any healthy person between the ages of 18 and 60 can become a prospective marrow donor.

Runners can register online and collect donations at www.moonlitformarrow.com. Race packets will be available for pick-up the day before the race at Gazelle Sports, 3930 28th Street in Grand Rapids from Noon to 7 p.m. For more information about Moonlit Miles for Marrow, please contact racedirector@moonlitformarrow.com

Registration fees (includes commemorative gift, refreshments, and prize drawing entry):

  • 15K: $35 until May 1, 2010
  • $38 May 2-14, 2010
  • $40 May 15-21, 2010
  • 2 Mile Family Fun Run/Walk: $15

About the Marrow Program

Michigan Blood’s Marrow Program recruits prospective marrow donors throughout Michigan for the National Marrow Donor Program’s (NMDP) Be the Match registry, and also provides supportive services to marrow donors and to patients who need transplants. Marrow/stem cell transplants may represent the best hope of survival for people with life-threatening blood diseases such as a plastic anemia and some kinds of leukemia. Donors can be found within a patients’s family only about 30% of the time. The other 70% of patients need to find unrelated volunteer donors. The NMDP estimates that more than 10,000 adults and children a year with life-threatening diseases could benefit from a marrow transplant.

About Michigan Blood

Founded in 1955, Michigan Blood is an independent, nonprofit, community service organization that is the provider of choice for blood and blood products for hospitals across Michigan’s Lower Peninsula. Michigan Blood is committed to serving the needs of Michigan hospital facilities first. In addition to its blood donation program, Michigan Blood offers a number of different services, including a cord blood bank, marrow/stem cell program, transfusion medicine consultation, transplant center support, and other programs. For more information, visit www.miblood.org.

This post was written by:

- who has written 19598 posts on Cedar Springs Post Newspaper.

Contact the author

Comments are closed.



Get Your Copy of The Cedar Springs Post for just $40 a year!