web analytics

Categorized | Featured, News

Clean up begins on burned out house

Clean up begins on burned out house

By Judy Reed

There will soon be another vacant lot in Cedar Springs—this time on the southwest corner of First and Maple. Cleanup began Wednesday on the house that was destroyed by fire in the wee hours of the morning, at 40 E. Maple, on February 7.

The home, owned by Gerald and Jane Cardinal, held four apartments. He remarked that three out of the four tenants lost everything in the fire. “The most important thing is that all the smoke alarms worked, and everyone got out ok,” said Gerald.

He was happy to see that the Red Cross was on the scene and provided housing and other needs for the tenants. He also commended the Cedar Springs Fire Department on a job well done. “It was the second fire they battled in less than 24 hours,” he said.

Gerald explained that the city wanted the site cleaned up as soon as possible, and so did they. “We don’t want any kids getting in there and getting hurt,” he said.

The Cardinals bought the house about 10 years ago. He said he thought it was converted to apartments about 40 years ago. He didn’t have any further history on the house, however. “Several people came up and told me they used to live there, but we don’t have anyone’s name,” he explained.

If anyone can fill us in on the history of the house, send us an email at postnews@charter.net, or give us a call at 696-3655.

This post was written by:

- who has written 19462 posts on Cedar Springs Post Newspaper.

Contact the author

Comments are closed.



Get Your Copy of The Cedar Springs Post for just $40 a year!