web analytics

Categorized | Outdoors

Give the gift of outdoors this holiday season

Gifts for the camper, boater or outdoors enthusiast on your gift list are available again this holiday season from the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. The 2010 state park motor vehicle and boating access site permits will be available for sale starting Dec. 1.

Michigan State Park Gift Certificates, in increments of $25 each, are also available throughout the year and can be redeemed towards a permit, camping fees or other state park or recreation area purchases.

“Most Michigan residents are located within a one hour drive of a state park, recreation area or boating access site, and these permits provide Michigan residents, and non-residents, access to 98 Michigan state parks or recreation areas and over 800 access sites located statewide,” said Ron Olson, DNR Parks and Recreation chief. “Giving a motor vehicle permit, a boating access site permit, or a gift certificate is giving the gift of outdoors, and it also helps support our state park system.”

Gift certificates, 2010 motor vehicle or boating access site permits, and other state park-related items can be purchased year-round through the Michigan E-store at www.michigan.gov/dnr, or by calling 517-373-9900.

Annual permits are valid from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2010. Rates for 2010 permits will remain the same. Legislation is pending to create the Recreation Passport plan, and if adopted would not go into effect until Oct. 1, 2010.

Motor vehicle entrance permits are $24 for a resident annual and $6 for a resident daily. A non-resident annual is $29 and a non-resident daily is $8. Resident annual senior discount permits are $6 and can only be purchased in person at a state park or recreation area, or at the main office in downtown Lansing, and will require a valid driver’s license and vehicle registration.

Boating access site permits are $24 for an annual permit, or $6 for a daily permit, for both residents and non-residents. Boating access site permits are also available at fee sites. For a list of boating access sites that require a permit, visit the Boating Section on the DNR’s Web site at www.michigan.gov/dnr, or visit www.mcgi.state.mi.us/MRBIS for all boating access sites throughout the state.

Please contact a state park or recreation area near you to determine their hours and availability. Information about state parks or recreation areas, boating access sites, winter camping opportunities, events or accessibility, are available on the DNR’s Web site, under “Recreation, Camping & Boating,” or by contacting the Lansing Office at 517-373-9900 (TTY/TDD711 Michigan Relay Center for the hearing impaired).

This post was written by:

- who has written 19598 posts on Cedar Springs Post Newspaper.

Contact the author

One Response to “Give the gift of outdoors this holiday season”

  1. Kiera says:

    Gift cards rock! What more is there to say? It even arrived in a nice big package for it. Great for gifts (including ones to yourself); it even comes almost pre-wrapped.




Get Your Copy of The Cedar Springs Post for just $40 a year!