web analytics

Tag Archive | "Sand Lake Fire"

Crash sends two to hospital


 

This SUV split in half after the man driving it reportedly lost control and rolled it Tuesday morning in Ensley Township. Post photo by J. Reed.

By Judy Reed

A crash in Ensley Township sent two people to the hospital Tuesday, and left a SUV ripped in half.

The crash occurred shortly after 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, December 5, on 136th St, just west of Cottonwood. Sand Lake Fire and Rescue responded to the scene, and asked for assistance from Cedar Springs and Solon Fire Departments.

According to firefighters at the scene, the SUV, which they said looked to be a Ford Excursion, was apparently traveling eastbound on 136th Street when the male driver may have lost control on the dirt road and rolled the vehicle, which then split the top from the frame. The man’s leg was partially under the vehicle when firefighters arrived, and a young female passenger was out of the vehicle walking around. Firefighters reported the man was unresponsive.

AeroMed was called to the scene, but the man was transported by ambulance instead. Post photo by J. Reed.

AeroMed was called to the scene, and landed on the dirt road despite high winds. However, when it came time to transport the man, it was found that they would have to land at the Ford Airport and then transport the man to Butterworth, rather than landing on the roof of the hospital. That trip would take about 40 minutes and an ambulance trip only 30 minutes, so the man was transported by ambulance instead. A second ambulance was dispatched for the female.

Newaygo County Sheriff’s deputies were in charge at the scene but declined to comment other than to say one car was involved in the crash. The Post contacted them twice on Wednesday to inquire about a news release, but at press time Wednesday evening they had not yet issued any information. We will update our story when we have more information.

Posted in Featured, NewsComments (0)

Heat from A/C starts afghan on fire


Smoke and flames were coming out the door when firefighters arrived on the scene of a fire at this mobile home last Saturday, July 22. Post photo by J. Reed.

By Judy Reed

A polyester afghan sealing off a window around an air conditioning unit caught fire last weekend in a mobile home in Cedar Springs Mobile Estates.

According to Cedar Springs Fire Chief Marty Fraser, they received the call at 11:07 a.m., Saturday, July 22, for 336 Carol Street. When they arrived on scene at 11:11 a.m., smoke and flames were coming out the front door. And by 11:14 a.m., they had the fire out.

“We had a good response time, and it was a quick knockdown,” reported Fraser.

He said that the fire was contained to the sofa area in the living room. The air conditioner was above it, with the polyester afghan around it to seal the window. Fraser said that the afghan was brittle and stiff, and that the heat from air conditioner started it on fire, which then started the sofa on fire.

The damage to the home was mainly smoke and water damage.

The Kent County Sheriff Department was on scene and helped evacuate the family, which consisted of a mom, dad, and three children, including a six-week-old  baby. Several animals were also evacuated safely.

The family was renting the home, and had no insurance. Red Cross was called in to help render aid.

Sand Lake Fire was automatically toned out for mutual aid, but then told to disregard, as was Rockford Ambulance.

Posted in Featured, NewsComments (0)


advert
Kent Theatre
Advertising Rates Brochure

Get the Cedar Springs Post in your mailbox for only $35.00 a year!