The Michigan State Police (MSP) Lakeview Post would like to notify residents that a new scam has been reported involving persons posing as members of the Department of Treasury and the IRS, claiming there is a criminal law suit against you or you are being charged with tax fraud.
Scams can take many forms, but citizens should know that the Department of Treasury or the IRS will never call you to notify you that you are being charged in a criminal matter.
Most scams involve obtaining a victim’s personal information under false pretenses. The scammer usually portrays a sense of urgency, pretending to be an official of a legitimate organization to fool a victim into providing personal information or money.
- To avoid becoming a victim of a scam:
- Do not give personal information to unknown callers.
- Do not respond to unsolicited e-mails from unknown senders.
- Confirm the identity of a contact by independently speaking with the identified source (your bank, credit card company, government agency, etc.)
- Ask for a call-back name and number and then use a reliable source, such as the phone book or Google search, to confirm the contact’s phone number or e-mail.
- Report any suspicious contacts to police.