A Sand Lake family is homeless and has lost everything after a fire consumed their home last weekend.
According to Sand Lake Fire Chief Ed Holtzlander, the fire began around 7 p.m. Saturday evening, December 28, at 125 W. Oak Street in Sand Lake. Six people lived in the home.
Holtzlander said that the homeowner, Kimberly Sanborn, told him that her boyfriend, Dean MCollum and friends were in the basement when the smoke alarms upstairs went off. They went back upstairs to find both the couch and Christmas tree on fire.
Sand Lake Fire had someone on the scene within 2 minutes, and a fire engine within five minutes. But flames were already shooting out of the roof. “We didn’t have a chance,” said Holtzlander. He noted that it was an older home without firestops.
He said they got the fire knocked down within about 45 minutes, but then had to delay going into the structure for about two hours to finish putting it out because they had to wait for DTE Energy to arrive on the scene to turn off the gas. The gas line below the meter had burned off, and they had to go into defensive mode while they waited. “It wasn’t safe to go in,” he explained.
Sand Lake, Cedar Springs, Solon and Howard City Fire Departments all assisted at the scene, but Solon and Howard City were sent home because of the delay.
The home was a complete loss.
According to neighbor Dawn West, the family lost everything in the fire, including the family dog. Dawn is collecting clothing and household donations for the family at her home at 126 W. Oak Street, Sand Lake.
Clothing is needed for three boys ages 4, 6 and 9, in sizes 4, 6, and 8-10. Clothing is also need for a 17-year-old male in size 30/32 pants and men’s medium in shirts.
Financial donations are being taken at Independent Bank in Sand Lake. Cash or checks can be deposited in account number 74981309. Checks should be made out to Dawn West.
Please call Dawn with questions at (616) 821-8548.