(BPT) – Those winter chills are finally history and it’s time focus on outdoor fun again. Your lawn is the perfect spot for family gatherings, sports competitions, barbecues and relaxing afternoons, so why not make it the best it can be? Before your calendar fills up, apply these five tips and your lawn will be in great shape for the entire season.
* Clean up. Whether it was packed under the snow or blown in by the wind, the winter season leaves more than its fair share of debris behind. Grab a rake and get started raking up all of this garbage. Once the lawn is clean, apply a thin layer—about a quarter-inch thick—of compost to give your lawn a boost and start it in the right direction.
* Reseed the bare patches. Your travels around your lawn to rake up debris will probably reveal some bare patches. If you do happen upon a patch of barren ground, loosen the top 2-4 inches. Level the soil with your garden rake and cover the area with a mixture of grass seed and fertilizer. You could also replace the fertilizer with compost. Pat the surface with the flat end of the rake when finished to ensure the seed remains in place. Water as necessary.
* Aerate your lawn. Aerating allows oxygen, water and other nutrients to reach your grass’s roots, and it’s one of the best things you can do to support your lawn. Travel across your yard with a manual or gas-powered aerator, punching holes in the ground. Make sure to pass over each area only once. After you’ve finished aerating, spread compost, fertilizer or peat moss over your yard. The fertilizer will be absorbed quickly through the holes created by the aeration.
* It’s time to mow. Optimal grass length is 2.5-3.5 inches, so cut your grass as frequently as needed to achieve this length without cutting more than third of each grass blade. Mowing high and often will produce a heartier lawn that is more adept at keeping weeds away, as well as making it less susceptible to heat and drought. The new Z200 series of residential zero-turn riding mowers from Husqvarna, handles your mowing duties in a snap. The Z200 zero-turn platform features SmartSwitch technology that gives you one-touch steering, real-time feedback and keyless security so you can mow the lawn quickly and enjoyably every time.
* Add color and contrast. Landscaping adds immediate scenic interest to your space and allows you to showcase your creativity as well. If you choose to add annuals or perennials to your space, plant them in odd numbers and in tiny pockets around the yard – this produces a more natural appearance. You can also add a centerpiece to your yard, such as a sculpture, fountain, fire pit or horseshoe pit. Any of these focal points provides a gathering place and an excuse to enjoy relaxing afternoons on your beautiful lawn all season long.
To learn more about Husqvarna and the Z200 series of zero-turn mowers, visit Husqvarna on Facebook or Twitter.