Posted on 26 February 2015.
This home on Harvard Avenue, between 15 and 16 Mile Roads, caught fire Tuesday. Post photo by J. Reed.
Post photo by J. Reed.
By Judy Reed
The Oakfield Fire Department and four other departments battled both the elements and a structure fire Tuesday morning in the 13000 block of Harvard Avenue NE.
Firefighters were dispatched to the scene shortly after 10 a.m. Flames were coming through the roof. According to Oakfield Fire Chief Sam Peterson, the wind and cold were problems, but an even bigger problem was that the fire had gotten into the attic, and that area was restrictive.
Peterson said the fire started in the bathroom, possibly from some wiring issues. He said a fire investigator would be investigating the scene.
They cleared the scene at about 2:30 p.m.
A mom was home with children at the time of the fire, but the family had gotten out safely, as did their cat. No one was injured at the scene.
Oakfield was assisted by Courtland, Spencer, Grattan, and Montcalm Fire Departments.
Posted in Featured, News
Posted on 30 November 2012.
Firefighters fought a barn fire behind Harvard Tavern Friday morning. Post photo by J. Reed.
The steel barn behind the Harvard Tavern, 12607 Harvard Avenue, in Oakfield Township, was reduced to a heap of rubble Friday morning, after a fire broke out between 10:30 and 11:45 a.m.
According to Oakfield Fire Chief Don Riker, a construction crew was demolishing the north end of the building with a set of torches when the insulation caught on fire. “It was windy and the wind just fanned the flames, causing it to spread,” explained Riker.
There were no injuries.
Oakfield Fire Department, Courtland Fire Department, and Spencer Fire Department all responded to the fire.
Posted in News