web analytics

Tag Archive | "Drug Store"

Out of the attic


Skinner’s Drug Store

 

Skinner’s Drug Store about 1900. Bert Skinner is in the suit, with his wife, and pharmacists Charles Maynard and Mr. Doyle.

J.A. (Bert Skinner) owned Skinner’s Drug Store, which was located at 43 S. Main Street, the vacant lot where we now hold the Christmas tree lighting. According to the Cedar Springs Story by Sue Harrison and Donna DeJonge, Skinner started work at the age of 13 in a local drug store, and later set a record as the youngest person to pass the state pharmaceutical board. He was given his pharmaceutical license when he turned 18.

Skinner served as village president for 25 years, and was president of the board of education for 25 years. He was a state senator for two terms, and involved in Republican politics all during his life. Skinner Field, on the west side of Morley Park, is named after him and was dedicated in 1948. More on that next week.

A big thanks to Loretta E. Lewis, 86, for sharing this photo postcard!

Posted in Featured, NewsComments Off


advert

LOCAL Advertisers

The POST
Bryne Electrical
Kent Theatre

Get the Cedar Springs Post in your mailbox for only $35.00 a year!