A mobile home fire last Friday left a Newaygo County family homeless.
Both the Sand Lake and Cedar Springs Fire departments responded to the fire in the 14000 block of Beech Street, just north of 22 Mile Road, about 4:30 a.m. December 20.
According to Sand Lake Fire Chief Ed Holtzlander, the fire started in a room attached to the single-wide home that housed a woodburner. “The homeowner said it was smoking where the chimney went through the roof,” noted the Chief. “That’s where it was burning, and that’s where most of the damage was done, in the two rooms attached at the rear of the home,” he said.
He explained that the family was trying to curb their propane bill by using the woodburner. “A lot of people do it,” he said.
Homeowners Bruce and Rebecca Fisk, and their two children, Casey and Wyatt, made it out safely, but the home was a complete loss. “Between the smoke and heat damage it was totally destroyed,” said Holtzlander.
The home was not insured.
The family is currently living in a transition home and will soon need to look for an alternate place to live. If anyone would like to help the family, please contact the Springs Church at 696-2970.