Posted on 07 January 2016.
This home was a total loss. Photo by J. Reed.
Photo by J. Reed.
By J. Reed
A Cedar Springs family made it to safety early Tuesday when their mobile home caught fire on the coldest night of the year.
According to Cedar Springs Fire Chief Marty Fraser, the call came in at 2:11 a.m., on January 5, for a home at 365 Sarah Street, in Cedar Springs Mobile Estates. Fraser said that the homeowner got up during the night and saw smoke, and was able to get his wife and dog out.
Fraser said that the fire started in the hot water heater/furnace room area, but they do not yet know the cause. He said the fire was mostly contained to the room of origin, but some flames, smoke, and heat escaped to other areas. He said that due to the age of the home, it was probably a total loss. “There was some structural damage,” he explained. He added that the home was insured.
The fire did not reach a cargo van parked in the driveway, nor a shed that was next to the home.
The home did have two operating smoke detectors, which Fraser said were going off when they arrived on scene. “Unfortunately some flames that spread across the ceiling melted them,” he said.
The Sand Lake Fire Department assisted Cedar Springs at the scene.
Fraser said that it took about 20 minutes to get the fire knocked down, and a total of 2-1/2 hours before they cleared the scene. “The cold temperatures factored into the cleanup,” said Fraser, who explained that hoses stuck to the ground, and one was impossible to fold. “The cold also takes its toll on the firefighters,” he said. Temperatures dipped to about 10 degrees overnight.
Fraser said that the couple has family in the park that they are now staying with.
The fire is still under investigation.