web analytics

Tag Archive | "Cedar Springs Clipper"

Library to close this week


 This photo shows how the library at 43 W. Cherry looked when they shared it with the fire station. Courtesy photo.

This photo shows how the library at 43 W. Cherry looked when they shared it with the fire station. Courtesy photo.

Still needs 200 boxes

By Judy Reed

An era will come to an end this weekend when the Cedar Springs Public Library, at the corner of Cherry and 2nd Streets, closes its doors to get ready to move into a brand new location at the corner of N. Main and W. Maple Streets, near Cedar Creek.

According to The Cedar Springs Story, by Sue Harrison and Donna DeJonge, the first library was in the Congregational Church, at the corner of Beech and Second Streets. It was later torn down and Dr. J.H. Teusink later bought the property to build a home.

This photo shows a former librarian at 43 W. Cherry. Does anyone know who she is? Courtesy photo.

This photo shows a former librarian at 43 W. Cherry. Does anyone know who she is? Courtesy photo.

In 1936, plans were made to raise money for a new home for the library. The library was housed in two rooms in a building rented by the Cedar Springs Clipper. The Clipper moved in 1941, and it was necessary for the library to move to a new location. The Village gave permission for the library to use the old jail at 43 W. Cherry. The story goes that when Mae Hawkins, librarian at the time, was taken to the building and saw the two “gorilla cages” and damaged wainscoting, she immediately resigned. Officials talked her into staying until the building was improved.

Later the Library shared a building at the same location with the Cedar Springs Fire Department. The fire station had the west part of the building, and the library the east side, until a new fire barn was built in the late 1970s, or early 1980s.

This Saturday, April 22, will be the last day that the library at 43 W. Cherry will be open to the public. They will be open Friday, noon to 6 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. After that, books can be dropped off in the drop box in front of the library until May 1.

The library staff will be packing to move the week of April 24, and plan to reopen in the new library on May 8, with a grand opening on May 13 from 2-5 p.m.

The library still needs 200 boxes 12×19 and 10x18x11.5 (like what copy paper reams come in). If you have boxes the library can use, just knock on door next week and drop off or leave outside in good weather.

Posted in Featured, NewsComments Off on Library to close this week