web analytics

Tag Archive | "Butterworth"

JOHN E. FORTUNA


John E. Fortuna, II age 73 of Belmont, died Friday, April 4, 2014 at Spectrum Health – Butterworth Campus. John was born January 20, 1941 in Grand Rapids, Michigan the son of John and Nina (Griffin) Fortuna. He worked in Tool & Die and served an apprenticeship at Lear Siegler and then worked at Knape & Vogt, Auto Die and retired from General Motors on 36th St. in 2006 after 25 years. Surviving are his wife, Sally (Morris); children, John E. III and Jeannie, Jerry, Cindy (Fortuna) and Doug Ellinger; grandchildren, Lindsey and Griffin Fortuna, Riley, Ashton, and Triston Cherry; 1 step granddaughter, Megan Ellinger; mother, Nina Fortuna; sister, Joan and Bill Goss. He was preceded in death by his son Rick in 1991 and his father in 1997. The family received friends Tuesday, April 8 at the Bliss-Witters & Pike Funeral Home, Cedar Springs where services were held Wednesday, April 9. Pastor Chuck Smith officiating. Interment Elmwood Cemetery, Cedar Springs. Memorial contributions may be made to Spectrum Health Hospice and Pallative Care, 4500 Breton SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49508.

Arrangements by Bliss-Witters & Pike Funeral Home, Cedar Springs

 

Posted in ObituaryComments (0)

Sand Lake man dies in fire



Firefighters responded to the scene of a tragic house fire on Northland Drive, just south of Sand Lake, Thursday morning, January 20, that killed a man and sent his sister to the hospital.
According to Sgt. Steve Dabkowski, of the Kent County Sheriff Department, the homeowner, Sandra DeVault, 57, came out of her bedroom a little before 7 a.m. to find the living room, where her brother slept, engulfed in flames. She was unable to get him out.
Both Sand Lake and Cedar Springs Fire Departments fought the blaze. Dabkowski said they had initially knocked the fire down, and firefighters were inside, and ambulance workers almost inside, when it caught fire again. The man, William Samalot, 58, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Dabkowski said according to DeVault, her brother was on oxygen and often smoked. “That looks to be the probable cause of the fire,” said Dabkowski.
DeVault was taken to Spectrum Butterworth, where she was being treated for smoke inhalation.
The fire is still under investigation.

Posted in Featured, NewsComments Off


advert

LOCAL Advertisers

The POST
Bryne Electrical
Kent Theatre

Get the Cedar Springs Post in your mailbox for only $35.00 a year!