Adult artists with disabilities have a chance to win $500 and have their artwork displayed in the Grand Rapids Art Museum and entered in ArtPrize 2017 thanks to the Legacy Trust Award Collection.
Back for its eighth year, the Legacy Trust Award Collection is soliciting artwork from Michigan artists with disabilities for its popular mini-competition in advance of ArtPrize. Four winning artists will each receive $500 and sponsorship in ArtPrize, the radically open art competition, scheduled this year Sept. 20 through Oct. 8 in downtown Grand Rapids.
The statewide competition is open to all Michigan artists with disabilities and seeks paintings, sculptures, photographs, drawings, collages, mixed media and other works of art. Four winners will be chosen by popular vote, a panel of celebrity judges, and the LTAC Advisory Committee.
Artists must register with LTAC by Friday, April 24 to be considered for the 2017 competition.
Sponsored by Grand Rapids-based investment advisory and wealth management firm Legacy Trust, LTAC will be held this year in the Grand Rapids Art Museum May 22-23. A private reception for all artists, judges and LTAC supporters will be held on the evening of Monday, May 22.
The public will have a chance to view and vote for its favorite entry on Tuesday, May 23 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the GRAM, which is located in downtown Grand Rapids.
Winning artists will have their work displayed during ArtPrize at DeVos Place in downtown Grand Rapids. Last year, 101 artists from around the state submitted artwork to LTAC, its seventh straight year of growth.
“After hitting triple digits for the first-time last year in artwork submissions, we are eager to see how much more LTAC will grow this year,” said Mary Ann Sabo, chair of LTAC Arts, the nonprofit arm that supports the event. “Each year, I am amazed by the incredible talent of the artwork submitted and by the personal stories of the artists.
“We are delighted to welcome artists from across the length and breadth of our state. And we are so pleased to again partner with Grand Rapids Art Museum and DeVos Place for a fourth year, to showcase the talents of truly incredible Michigan artists.”
Winners of LTAC 2017 will be announced on Monday, May 30. Along with having their artwork entered into ArtPrize, the winning artists will each receive a cash prize of $500. All entry fees and promotion expenses for ArtPrize will be paid by Legacy Trust, which for the fourth year has secured the high-profile DeVos Place venue for the winning artists during ArtPrize.
Artists from all genres are invited to participate in the competition. All artists must submit an artist registration to Legacy Trust by April 24. All artwork must be completed and available for showing in Grand Rapids by 5 p.m. on April 28.
Following is a list of guidelines for submitting artwork:
* All participating artists must be a resident of Michigan and at least 18 years of age by April 3.
* All artwork must be original, attributable to the applicant and completed within three years prior to September 21, 2017.
* All artwork is subject to the Official Rules for Artists-ArtPrize, which can be found at http://www.artprize.org.
* The top four artists will retain ownership and all rights to their artwork, subject to the rules and restrictions of ArtPrize 2017. The artists agree to make themselves and their artwork available to LTAC and all partnering agencies and sponsors prior to and during ArtPrize for promotions and marketing efforts.
* The top four artists who receive the award will be entered into ArtPrize 2017 as a Legacy Trust Collection Award winner.
* LTAC artists agree that if their artwork wins any ArtPrize award, they will donate 25 percent of any award to create a special Legacy Trust Endowment Fund to continue arts programs for adults with disabilities in greater Grand Rapids.
* Winning artists will be notified by Legacy Trust by May11 and will be entered into ArtPrize.
* There are no restrictions on artists who are not part of the Collection from entering ArtPrize on their own.
Artwork may be delivered by mail, UPS, FedEx or in person to Legacy Trust, 99 Monroe, Suite 600, Grand Rapids, Michigan, 49503 by 5 p.m. on April 28. See the registration form for additional rules and details at http://ltacarts.org.
ArtPrize, an international art competition that draws hundreds of thousands of people to West Michigan each fall, returns to Grand Rapids for its eighth year on Sept. 20 through Oct. 8.
More information on LTAC is available at www.LTACArts.org. Join the conversation on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/LegacyTrustAwardCollection and on Twitter with #LTAC.