web analytics

Categorized | News

Fire at pet kennel

Fire Holiday PetFirefighters are still on the scene of a fire that started about 1 p.m. Friday at the Holiday Pet Resort & Salon, on Northland Drive, between 13 and 14 Mile. Firefighters from Courtland, Algoma, Rockford, Cannon and Cedar Springs were all on scene.

According to one worker at the facility, it may have been the crematorium that overheated and caught the rafters on fire. The crematorium is located in the back of the facility.

About a dozen animals were on site, including 11 dogs and one cat. They all got out safely.

According to the Smit family, they arrived at the pet resort just after 1 p.m. to drop off their black lab, Sasha, for the weekend. They were told by employees that they couldn’t take the dog because the building was on fire. “There weren’t any fire trucks here yet,” said Hanco Smit.

(L to R) Hanco, Raymond, and Hannes Smit helping with dogs during the fire at the kennel. Post photo by J. Reed.

(L to R) Hanco, Raymond, and Hannes Smit helping with dogs during the fire at the kennel. Post photo by J. Reed.

So parents Hannes and Heleen, and brothers  Hanco and Raymond helped employees with the animals by waiting outside while the employees brought dogs out to them to hold on to with leashes. Eventually some other people stopped to help, and held on to the dogs while firefighters fought the blaze.

“I guess you are going camping with us this weekend,” Hannes told Sasha, and scratched her head. “It will be a treat.” He said he called the place they were camping in Traverse City and explained the situation, and they told him to bring her on up. “That was really nice.”

Watch for more info on the fire in this week’s paper.

This post was written by:

- who has written 8535 posts on Cedar Springs Post Newspaper.


Contact the author

Comments are closed.