According to both the Cedar Springs Fire Department and school officials, the fire started at the Red Hawk Elementary building (which also houses New Beginnings) when a maintenance worker was repairing the roof with a flammable substance. It caught fire, and the emergency protocols went into effect, with students exiting the building and the police and fire department called. In the meantime, the maintenance worker put the fire out, and it was out before the fire department arrived on the scene. Fire officials said it looked as if some wiring to the air conditioner may have caught fire.
During that time, someone also reported that fire alarms were going off at Beach Elementary, and so they followed protocol and also exited their building.
No one was injured.