Posted on 31 October 2013.
at southwest Michigan state parks
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) invites Michigan residents to get out and enjoy state parks and recreation areas in southwest Michigan while helping to protect habitat. DNR recreation officials recently announced the schedule of volunteer stewardship activities for the month of November at state parks and recreation areas in southwestern Michigan.
Volunteering for these workdays is a great way for campers, park users and everyone else to GO-Get Outdoors in many of Michigan’s cherished state parks, breathe some fresh air, have fun and get a bit of exercise while enjoying beautiful scenery and landscapes this fall.
Activities vary by park and include invasive shrub removal, dune restoration and native seed collection. Native seed collection is a great way to get the whole family involved. Registration is required for seed collection events. No experience is necessary, and training and equipment are provided.
Dates, times and locations (counties) of group workdays are:
• Saturday, Nov. 2 - Yankee Springs Recreation Area (Barry), 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
• Sunday, Nov. 3 - Fort Custer Recreation Area (Kalamazoo), 1-4 p.m.
• Wednesday, Nov. 6 - Muskegon State Park (Muskegon), 1-4 p.m.
• Saturday, Nov. 16 - P.J. Hoffmaster State Park (Muskegon), 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
• Sunday, Nov. 17 - Warren Woods State Park (Berrien), 1-4 p.m.
• Saturday, Nov. 23 - Saugatuck Dunes State Park (Allegan), 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
• Sunday, Nov. 24 - Warren Dunes State Park (Berrien), 1-4 p.m.
Volunteers should wear appropriate clothing for outdoor work (including long pants and sturdy, closed-toe shoes) and bring gloves and drinking water. To get information about the activities at each workday, find directions or park information, or check the Volunteer Steward calendar of events, visit the DNR website at www.michigan.gov/dnrvolunteers and click on Calendar of Volunteer Stewardship Workdays. Workdays are held each weekend at select parks in southwest Michigan.
Please contact Heidi Frei at 269-685-6851, ext. 147 or email@example.com for registration or questions about the Volunteer Steward workdays.