web analytics

Categorized | News

Test your home for radon

January is national radon month

 

N-radon-month-lung-cancerDid you know that radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers? The American Lung Association, Centers for Disease Control and National Cancer Institute all agree that radon is a national health problem and encourage radon testing of your home.

Radon is naturally occurring in rock and soil. It can enter buildings through cracks or openings in the foundation of floors and walls, around sump openings, or spaces around plumbing. It occurs in both new and old homes, or houses built over a basement, over a crawlspace or built on slab-on-grade.

N-radon_month2Millions of Americans are unknowingly exposed to this dangerous gas. In fact, a recent study by Harvard University ranks radon as America’s #1 in-home hazard. By taking simple steps to test your home for radon and fix if necessary, this health hazard can be avoided. Radon gas is not isolated to certain geographical areas or home types. Radon problems have been detected in homes in every county of the U.S. It caused more American fatalities last year than carbon monoxide, fires, and handguns combined! If a home hasn’t been tested for radon in the past two years, EPA and the Surgeon General urge you to take action.

National Radon Month, January 2013, is a good time to assess your home to determine whether repairs are necessary and to learn more about the dangers of this odorless, invisible gas and its effects on the body.

The only way to know if there is radon in your home is to test for it. Just hang a small filter in your home for about one week, and mail it for testing in a pre-paid envelope. You can buy this kit at the Kent County Health Department for just $5. Pick one up at 700 Fuller Ave., NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503 or call them at 616-632-6900.

Visit www.radonmonth.org for more info.

This post was written by:

- who has written 7546 posts on Cedar Springs Post Newspaper.


Contact the author

Comments are closed.

advert

LOCAL Advertisers

The POST
Bryne Electrical
Kent Theatre

Get the Cedar Springs Post in your mailbox for only $35.00 a year!