A man charged in the arson of a Cedar Springs mobile home has pled guilty to a lesser charge.
Brent Koelsch, 41, of Cannon Township, pled guilty in 17th Circuit Court to “preparation to burn personal property over $1,000,” which is a five-year felony. He was originally charged with one count of arson of a dwelling and one count of home invasion.
According to Cedar Springs Police Chief Roger Parent, the fire broke out about midnight June 26, 2010, at 368 Allan Street. Witnesses said a man arrived at the mobile home just before midnight, reportedly yelling and kicking in the door. Soon after, the man exited the mobile home and fled. Witnesses saw flames shortly after and called the fire department.
No one was home at the time of the fire.
Upon investigation, police found that the owner, a 38-year-old Cedar Springs man, had a brief encounter with a person earlier in the night, who he felt had broken into his home and started the fire. After reviewing evidence, the prosecutor issued a two-count warrant for Brent Robert Koelsch, 40, of Cannon Township. But authorities were told he left the state. Koelsch was finally picked up on August 30, 2011, in Ottawa County, on a traffic stop.
He will be sentenced on the lesser charge November 12.