By Judy Reed
The Michigan Propane Gas Association conducted the training at the Cedar Springs Fire Station then gave the firefighters a chance to practice putting out propane fires in the empty lot at the corner of Elm and Second Streets. Firefighters moved from simple to more complex explosions with each fire department getting a chance to put out the fire. Examples included a gas meter station, a barbecue grill station, and an LP tank.
“I thought it went great,” said Cedar Springs Fire Chief Marty Fraser. “I had positive feed back from everyone involved. The LP Emergency training is important, with so many people have the tanks in their yards. They could rupture during a house fire.”
Fraser was grateful to Holton’s LP Gas, who supplied the gas for the live burn, and thankful for all the firefighters who attended. Fraser said 44 firefighters attended the training. Departments represented included Cedar Springs, Ada, Alto, Oakfield, Solon, Sand Lake, and Grattan Fire Departments.