Two children managed to escape before a fire consumed their mobile home Monday in White Creek County Estates in Solon Township.
Cedar Springs Public Schools did not have school Monday (it was mid-winter break), and a 14-year-old girl was home with her three-year-old sister when she heard the smoke alarm go off. She said the fire started somewhere in the kitchen.
The call came in just after noon, and Solon Township responded with Cedar Springs Fire Department assisting at the scene. The fire spread quickly through the home of Troy Kaltenberg, located on Chestnut Drive. Kaltenberg was at work at the time.
“I was standing out here just a half hour ago and didn’t see anything,” said a neighbor, Richard Pawson. “Those old trailers go up fast.”
There were no injuries, but the two children were treated at the hospital for smoke inhalation and released.
Solon Fire Chief Joyce Vandermey confirmed that the fire did start in the kitchen near the toaster, but the reason was unknown. Vandermey said they were on the scene until about 5 p.m. investigating the fire, and went back on Tuesday to continue the investigation.
The home is a complete loss, and reportedly was not insured.
According to park owner Russ Eldred, this was only the second fire since he built the park in 1971.