web analytics

Categorized | Featured, News

Christmas day fire destroys home

This Algoma Township home was destroyed by fire Christmas Day. Post photo by J. Reed.

Christmas Day took a tragic turn for one northern Kent County family after their home was destroyed by fire Saturday evening.

Firefighters responded to the 4100 block of Ives Farm Lane, (a subdivision off White Creek just north of Russell Road) just after 7:14 p.m. When firefighters arrived, it was fully engulfed.

Several fire departments fought the blaze, including Algoma, Courtland, Solon and Cedar Springs, who was set up as a pumping station at the Cedar Springs Middle School.

According to Algoma Fire Captain Roger VanderKlipp, the  family of four (2 adults and two children) got out safely, along with guests they had over at the time. He said that one of the children slept downstairs, and that they were able to get some of his clothing out. Several Christmas presents were also stacked in front of the home in the driveway.

The family was staying with neighbors overnight and the Red Cross had been called in.

According to Algoma Fire Chief Steve Johnson, the fire appears to have started from discarded ashes from a  charcoal grill. The family had grilled the previous day, and the ashes had been stored in the garage, where they ignited. “Ashes can stay hot for three or four days down inside of them,” noted Johnson.

The Post reached the homeowner, Norman Galang, on Monday. He said they are currently staying with family. “Everyone is doing great, and no one was hurt,” he said. “We are in much better spirits now.” The Galangs have a 7-year-old son and 3-year-old daughter.

Anyone interested in helping the Galangs can email Norman at galangn@gmail.com for specific needs.

This post was written by:

- who has written 7546 posts on Cedar Springs Post Newspaper.


Contact the author

3 Responses to “Christmas day fire destroys home”

  1. MickBaby2009 says:

    WHAT A HORRIBLE THING TO HAPPEN ESPECIALLY ON CHRISTMAS DAY. IM GLAD THAT EVERYONE WAS ABLE TO GET OUT SAFELY. CEDAR SPRINGS IS A GREAT COMMUNITY AND I HAVE NO DOUBTS THAT ALONG WITH MY FAMILY, OTHER FAMILIES WILL COME TOGETHER AND DO WHAT WE CAN DO TO HELP THIS FAMILY.
    GOD BLESS,
    THE WILLERS

  2. It’s a tragic event that we fill very sad and sorry about. The good thing is nobody got hurt. With Gods help, you can still rebuild your home in the near future, unlike lost lives it’s unrecoverable. You are all in our thoughts here in the Philippines. Tito Adre & Tita Iya

  3. Karen Fought says:

    OLC is here to help. We are all praying and we will be here to help in any way you need. Just call me anytime for anything, just like I call you for help at school all the time! Karen

Trackbacks/Pingbacks


advert

LOCAL Advertisers

Kent Theatre
Bryne Electrical
The POST

Get the Cedar Springs Post in your mailbox for only $35.00 a year!