By Judy Reed
Firefighters were dispatched to the scene of a possible dryer fire at 385 S. Linda at 3:12 p.m. on Sunday, February 21. When they arrived on scene, they found a singlewide mobile home in flames. The Sand Lake Fire Department also responded to the scene for mutual aid. The Cedar Springs Police Department was also on scene.
The renter and two friends escaped unharmed, and also got the family dog and cat out safely.
According to Fire Chief Jerry Gross, materials behind the dryer caught on fire and then spread. “The fire was knocked down in a short period of time, but we stayed on scene to ensure that there were no hot spots inside,” said Gross.
He noted that because of the close proximity of the home to the doublewide next door, that home also suffered heat, smoke and water damage. Siding on the front melted off.