web analytics

Categorized | Featured, News

Fan ignites fire in Spencer home

By Judy Reed

This Spencer Township home caught fire while the family was away Sunday. Post photo by C. Bigney.

This Spencer Township home caught fire while the family was away Sunday. Post photo by C. Bigney.

A Spencer Township family went canoeing for the day Sunday, only to return and find tragedy at home.

According to Spencer Township Fire Chief Allen Wright, they responded to a house fire at 11801 19 Mile Road about 10:45 a.m. Sunday, August 9. When they arrived, no one was at home, but the upper portion of the modular home was in flames.

Post photo by C. Bigney.

Post photo by C. Bigney.

Six fire departments fought the blaze or provided support on the scene, including Spencer, Cedar Springs, Trufant, Sand Lake, Oakfield, and Algoma. Wright said it took about 15 minutes to knock the fire down, and they spent another half hour dousing hot spots. The upper portion was destroyed by the fire, and the basement level suffered water damage.

There were no injuries to firefighters, however, a family cat perished in the fire.

Wright said the fire started in the living room next to a chair. He explained that an electric fan in the window was left running and may have fallen out of the window and started the fire.

The family is reportedly staying with relatives in the area.

This post was written by:

- who has written 8125 posts on Cedar Springs Post Newspaper.


Contact the author

Comments are closed.